Back Injuries - Information for Patients throughout the Newark, NJ Area
The lower back, or lumbar area, is an incredible structure of interconnecting bones, joints, nerves, ligaments, and muscles that work together to provide support, strength, and flexibility. However, this complex structure also leaves the low back susceptible to injury and pain.
Back pain can make everyday life difficult and unpleasant. Over time, back pain can even reduce your quality of life. At Suburban Orthopaedic Medical Center, in Newark, NJ, we offer a wide range of treatments that help patients manage their back pain, heal from their injuries and improve their quality of life. Understanding the causes of back pain can help enable you to get the treatment you need.
Suburban Orthopaedic Medical Center is a world class leader in the diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal conditions. We offer multi-disciplinary spine care, including non-surgical back & spine treatment and state-of-the-art back & spine surgical services. We're here to help you understand your back pain and provide treatment options that will help relieve your pain. An information partnership between physician and patient is the foundation we build with you to achieve the best medical results.
Causes of Back Pain
Back pain can be caused by a variety of factors, injuries and chronic conditions. Below are some of the most common causes of back pain:
- Herniated disc. A herniated disc is a damaged disc found between the vertebrae in the spine.
- Poor lifting techniques. Poor lifting techniques can lead to strain the muscles and joints in the back, causing low back pain and pain elsewhere in the body.
- Ergonomic problems. Ergonomic problems can lead to muscle strain and chronic pain.
- Sciatica. Pain of the sciatic nerve occurs when the nerve becomes pinched in the lower lumbar of the spine.
- Sports injury. Sports injury can damage the soft tissues in the body, leading to muscle aches and other pain.
- Personal injury. Personal injuries like slips and falls can lead to pain in the back and other parts of the body.
Symptoms & Conditions We Treat
Our specialists help patients find relief from the following symptoms and conditions:
- Acute, chronic neck pain and back pain
- Herniated Disc, Sciatica, and Radiculopathy
- Spinal stenosis
- Degenerative conditions of the adult spine
Our specialists view surgery as a treatment option only when all other avenues have been explored.
Some of our non-surgical treatments include:
- Physical therapy
- Pain management
If our specialists determine that surgery is your best option, they will treat you using cutting-edge surgical techniques to ensure safe, fast, and effective recovery.
SSuburban provides the following procedures:
- ALIF: Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion
- Anterior Cervical Discectomy & Fusion
- Interspinous Process Decompression
- Intraoperative Monitoring (IOM) of the Nerves
- Lumbar Disc Microsurgery
- Lumbar Interbody Fusion
- Spinal Cord Stimulator Implant
- Spinal Fusion